About NSS & YRC
The aim of the NSS and Youth Red Cross (NSS & YRC) units are educate the students through community service. The motto is “not Me but You”. The mission is to inspire, encourage and initiate at all times all forms of humanitarian activities so that human sufferings can be minimized and even prevented and this contribute to create climate for peace. In this regard the college has a committed NSS & YRC Unit with a maximum capacity of 100 in each unit. The NSS & YRC units has been successfully functioning in the College. Membership to the NSS & YRC is voluntary but strictly selective. Applications for enrolment are called for by the programme officers of the units at the beginning of each academic year.
It promotes institution-neighborhood-community network and student engagement, contributing to good citizenship, service orientation and holistic development of students regularly by arranging the different social activities in and outside the campus. It is voluntary organizations for the students involve in social development programs and to participate in the socio-economic life of the community. It helps the personality development of students through community service. The participants get a chance to develop a sense of Nation through corporate living and co-operative action.
In 2011 NSS unit started “KVGCE Blood Donation Service Unit” in the direction of national interest. This noble cause is fulfilled as there are 500 + students of various blood group donors are voluntarily registered in every academic year and donating the blood continuously for needy people on emergency condition.
Strength of Our NSS & YRC Units
- One of the oldest NSS Unit in the University (Since 1992).
- Recognized and approved by state government at University level.
- Trained NSS Program officer.
- First Aid and emergency medical suppport
- Active and dedicated volunteers.
- About 40% + volunteers are girls.
- Most of the filed programs Organized for rural and remote areas.
- Dedicated 24 X 7 Blood donation service unit (KVGCE Blood donation unit).
- The unit equipped with all equipment and other accessories for in-house and field programs.
The vision is to build the youth with the mind and spirit to serve the society and work for the social uplift of the down-trodden masses of our nation as a movement.
The National Service Scheme has been functioning with the motto “NOT ME BUT YOU” in view of making the youth inspired in service of the people and hence NSS Aims Education through Community Service and Community Service through Education.
- Understand the community in which they work
- Understand themselves in relation to their community
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solution to individual and community problems
- Develop competence required for group living and sharing of responsibilities
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and
- Practice national integration and social harmony
NSS Foundation Day
September, 1969 during Gandhi Centenary year and during 4th Five Year Plan 1969-74
Following are different auspicious days for NSS Unit
- January 1-7 Road Safety Week
- January 12 National Youth Day (Birthday of Swami Vivekananda)
- January 12 to 19 National Youth Week
- January 15 NSS Day
- January 25 National Voter's Day
- January 26 Republic Day
- January 30 Anti-terrorism Day
- March 8 International Women's Day
- March 21 World Forest day
- April 7 World Health Day
- April 14 Fire Prevention Day
- May 1 World Labour Day
- May 1 to 7 Nutrition Week
- May 10 World Mother’s Day
- May 21 Anti-terrorism Day
- May 31 World No Tobacco Day
- June 5 World Environment Day
- June 26 International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking
- July 8-14 International Literacy Week
- July 11 World Population Day
- August 1-7 World Breast Feeding Week
- August 6 Campaign Against Nuclear Weapon
- August 15 Independence Day
- August 20 Sadbhavana Diwas
- September 5 Teachers' Day
- September 8 International Literacy Day
- September 15 International Peace Day
- September 24 NSS Day
- October 1 National Blood Donation Day
- October 2 Gandhi Acanthi /Communal Harmony Day
- October 11 World Sight Day
- October 16 World Food Day
- October 24 UNO Day
- October 24 to 30 Traffic Week
- October 31 Savings Day
- November 14 Children’s Day
- November 19 National Integration Day
- December 1 World AIDS Day
- December 7 Armed Forces Flag Day
- December 10 World Human Rights Day